What word should I use to translate Russian word "телепередача"?

I mean a distinct interval in TV broadcast dedicated to a certain topic and united with the same format such as a talk show, newsreel, an analytic monologue/dialogue, a learning TV class etc?

1 Answer 1


It should be a programme. However Google translate gives telecast, which I am not sure fits your description.

  • Google Translate gives broadcast, TV program, TV show and television program as alternate translations.
    – Hugo
    Jul 5, 2012 at 7:11
  • 1
    In non-UK English (i.e. everywhere else), it should be "program". Jul 5, 2012 at 7:45
  • 2
    @Translator1983: No, in India we use programme for TV shows and program for software codes.
    – Bravo
    Jul 5, 2012 at 7:46
  • 1
    I won't argue with that, but I wish to point out that the English spoken in India comes from British English. I should have mentioned that "programme" is also used in many former English colonies. Jul 5, 2012 at 9:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.