I was thinking about the word of those things which are published in craigslist.com and whether if I should call them ads? list? commercials? notice? promotion? flyers? or something else.

To clear what I say, where I live, there some daily extra pages published with newspapers in which people and organizations publish their needs or what they can offer other people, as one sells a car or another needs a teacher etc.

What are these kind of things called?

1 Answer 1


The ads offering or looking for products or services are commonly known as classified ads:

Classified advertisements [...] are mostly placed by private individuals with single items they wish to sell or buy.

or, as @Manoochehr added below, personal ads cover the sort of "looking for love" (for various values of "love") listings you also find.

These two should cover most of what you find on Craigslist. :)

  • Also personals, personal ads.
    – Manoochehr
    Jul 2, 2012 at 8:22
  • 1
    If the context is already established, someone might also refer to an ad as a "listing".
    – TecBrat
    Jul 6, 2012 at 2:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.