How do we call a person having deep love towards bright colours (like he loves to wear very brightly-coloured clothes)?

  • 1
    How about "chromophile"? It doesn't seem to be in general use though. – donothingsuccessfully Jul 1 '12 at 11:33
  • 1
    If we're coining words then I suggest dayglophile. – MetaEd Jul 1 '12 at 14:07
  • 1
    Hope someone doesn't suggest gay :P – Bravo Jul 1 '12 at 14:44

There is no single word to refer to such a person. But you could get plenty of adjectives to refer to bright clothes, so you may use them appropriately in the sentence you want. Some of the adjectives:

  • garish
  • gaudy
  • vibrant
  • electric

The first two words are depreciative, the latter ones are rather descriptive. Your sentence could be:

He shows a preference for vibrant colours.

| improve this answer | |

I think this is best described as Colourful or Flamboyant?

| improve this answer | |

Chromatophilia is sometimes used for love of colour generally (alongside, e.g., melanophilia, xanthophilia, leukophilia as love of black, yellow, white, respectively), but doesn't emphasize bright colours in particular.

Augophilia, by contrast, is the love of bright lights, glare, or sunlight. So, it includes light, rather than just bright or glaring colour.

Maybe someone with sufficient Greek can suggest some coupling of the two ...

| improve this answer | |

I am curious about this myself. Even as a young boy I have always been fascinated by different colored lights. Not clothing or paint, but lighting, both natural and artificial. I feel both energized and relaxed by a light show. I have wired multi-colored lighting into bookshelves and entertainment centers in my living room and during holidays I always set up appropriate colored lights around the house inside and out.

Heliophile: (n.) a lover of the sun. Photophile: (n.) a person who loves light.

If I had to pick one, I would lean toward a Photophile because it isn't just sunlight that interests me.But if anyone else has a better name, then I would love to hear it.

| improve this answer | |

Actually i don't know if there is any word.. But as colors have different wavelength and our 3 cone cells see these long , medium and short wavelengths .. so the people who love colors with different wavelengts , i scientifically call them ...---

Simple naming of people who love different colours

  1. People who love short wavelength colours - S conicellulaexcitanda philic (S conecells stimulation philic)

  2. People who love medium wavelength colours - M conicellulaexcitanda philic ( M conecells stimulation philic )

3 . People who love long wavelength colours - L conicellulaexcitanda philic ( L conecells stimulation philic)

| improve this answer | |
  • It is very doubtful that this is a real answer. Always use links to provide evidence. – Karlomanio Feb 25 '19 at 18:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.