What word best describes a person who is deceitful and very complicated to understand? As they say, he wears several masks.

  • 1
    There are probably many ways to describe such a person, but I might start with enigmatic or mysterious.
    – J.R.
    Jun 28, 2012 at 18:11
  • 1
    Wearing several masks and being very complicated to understand are two very different things. Clarify, please.
    – CesarGon
    Jun 28, 2012 at 19:36
  • @J.R.: "That's his power? He's mysterious?"
    – chaos
    Jun 28, 2012 at 20:32
  • @chaos: I made my initial comment before the question was edited, when it asked for ways to describe "a person who is not straightforward but very complicated as he wears several masks." I also initially missed your cultural reference, but I got it now :^)
    – J.R.
    Jun 29, 2012 at 0:29

4 Answers 4


Some words related to deceitful are duplicitous ("Given to or marked by deliberate deceptiveness in behavior or speech"), double dealing ("Cheating, dishonest; treacherous"), and aforementioned two-faced ("deceitful, hypocritical or duplicitous"). Analogous to previously-mentioned multifaceted is many-sided, meaning "Having many aspects".


The common English idiom nearest to your meaning is to speak of such a person as two-faced, though this strictly means someone is deceitful. To describe someone who is complex and hard to understand without implying deceitfulness, we might call them multifaceted.


Wearing several masks and being very complicated to understand are two very different things.

If you are after a word to describe someone who is very complicated to understand because they change often, then I like fickle or, perhaps a bit more metaphorically, volatile.

For someone who wears several masks, there are other answers on this page which I quite like.


You may say the person has multiple personalities, or is dissociated. If the person changes according to the ambience you could call him/her "chameleon".

  • Voluble most commonly means "fluent or having a ready flow of speech", and while it has a couple of rare senses that might apply, I suspect you mean volatile, meaning "fickle" or "temporary or ephemeral". Jun 28, 2012 at 20:44
  • @jwpat7 I guess you are right, though it seems that 'voluble' may be used in the sense of something that changes easily, there was some confusion between dictionaries (portuguese-english), as the words "voluble" and "volúvel" share the meaning of "turning easily on an axis", the portuguese word does not mean "fluent" and mostly means "unstable, inconstant". Thanks.
    – Tames
    Jun 28, 2012 at 22:32

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.