Yes, I know the same thing has been asked before, but there were no answers that fit the word I'm trying to find.

Anyway, what is a word for "knowing the feeling from X situation"? That would be something like "know that feel" in slang. I am not thinking of sympathy or empathy.

It is more like: let's say someone describes a situation like "and then I feel sad because of what is said", and I know myself from it or I know the feeling very well. Sorry if I'm not very good at explaining. Hope someone knows what I am talking about. If it is of any help, I would say "å føle seg truffen" in Norwegian.

I think I'll stick with something like "I recognize know that feeling" or "I can relate".

  • 1
    Can you explain what is wrong with "sympathy"? It means almost exactly what you have described.
    – Cameron
    Commented Jun 25, 2012 at 22:13
  • Well, maybe I should correct it, because it is more like "knowing the feeling from X situation". Well, it is kind of hard to explain, as english isn't y primary language. Commented Jun 25, 2012 at 22:49
  • 1
    I would use "I know that feeling," not "I recognize that feeling." Recognize implies that you can perceive it, without necessarily ever experiencing it first-hand. If someone is cursing on the golf course and throwing his clubs around, anyone can recognize that he's angry. But if I tell him, "I know that feeling," that would imply that I've been frustrated on the golf course, too. In such situations, know implies can relate to while recognize does not.
    – J.R.
    Commented Jun 26, 2012 at 11:51
  • You're absolutely right. Commented Jul 5, 2012 at 10:48

5 Answers 5


Maybe it could be "likewise". It can be used in many cases, when someone expresses some feeling/opinion, and you want do say that you feel/think the same.

E.g.: A: It was a pleasure talking to you. B: Likewise. (it was a pleasure for me as well)

A: I feel sad for this. B: Likewise. (I feel sad too)


  • I don't think the OP is asking something like that. And those who up voted this answer too seem to have got the question wrong. OP might clarify.
    – Kris
    Commented Dec 28, 2012 at 15:09

In casual conversation, if someone related feelings to me which I had experienced before, was familiar with, and was made to feel by the description - I would be most likely to say something like I know what you mean, e.g.

Person A: ... and it made me feel completely ashamed.

Person B: I know what you mean.

When describing such situations rather than participating in them (I'm not sure which you are asking about), a simple and common option is to say that you feel for the other person.

For instance, if I said something like:

Casey was telling me all about her breakup; I really felt for her.

it would imply not only that I was sympathetic, but that, as you said, I knew her particular feelings well myself.

  • Another alternative for "I know what you mean" might be "I can relate."
    – J.R.
    Commented Jun 25, 2012 at 22:37
  • ^ Good point. I think "can relate" works well for the second scenario, actually (I could really relate to Casey's experience) but not so much for the first - as Person B, I would be reluctant to say "I can relate" for fear that Person A will think I am self-centeredly turning the conversation toward my own experiences, rather than being a good listener. Still, it's certainly something people do say in that context.
    – alcas
    Commented Jun 25, 2012 at 22:40

So simple.

I tell my friends, be it guys or girls, “I feel you, bro.”


I would say something like commiserate, which means “to express sympathy or pity”.

  • Try to include a useful definition, explanation, usage examples from a reliable source with citation. So that it doesn't appear like a personal opinion or a guess.
    – Kris
    Commented Dec 28, 2012 at 15:07
  • I’m not sure that sharing someone’s misery always applies to sharing their feelings. They are more feelings than misery.
    – tchrist
    Commented Dec 28, 2012 at 15:53

"That really resonated with me."

"I empathise with that."

"I can identify with you there."

Long story short, there doesn't appear to be a word in English (as far as I can see) for knowing the feeling from an arbitrary situation. You have to use little phrases instead, such as the ones above.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.