American Heritage Dictionary defines:

plaza: a public square or similar open area in a town or city.

gallery: a roofed promenade, especially one extending along the wall of a building and supported by arches or columns on the outer side.

Which is the better word defining the space shown in the picture below: "plaza" or "gallery"? Or is there a more appropriate word?

enter image description here

  • @simchona - Thank you for having edited the question.
    – user19148
    Commented Jun 23, 2012 at 13:23
  • "appropriated" is a valid word, but it refers to taking something for yourself
    – user10893
    Commented Jun 23, 2012 at 13:25
  • What city is this located in?
    – Mitch
    Commented Jun 24, 2012 at 18:10
  • @Mitch: I don't know. I incidentally found the picture in The New York Times while I was searching for grammatical forms.
    – user19148
    Commented Jun 24, 2012 at 18:17
  • Interesting. I suspect this kind of thing varies a lot by speaker. I upvoted both "colonnade" and "covered walkway" because those are the two things it occurred to me to call the structure in the photo; I've personally never heard such things called "arcades" in speech, only in writing.
    – alcas
    Commented Jun 25, 2012 at 0:38

6 Answers 6


Perhaps, the word arcade would do.

  • Very nice answer!
    – user20934
    Commented Jun 25, 2012 at 15:30

Perhaps 'covered walkway' would be appropriate.


A colonnade is "a structure composed of columns placed at regular intervals."

A colonnade at the Acropolis:

enter image description here

  • This was the first word I thought of when I saw the picture.
    – Kit Z. Fox
    Commented Jun 24, 2012 at 17:18

It may also be called a mall:
( see esp. 2 and 3)

mall n.
1. A large, often enclosed shopping complex containing various stores, businesses, and restaurants usually accessible by common passageways.
2. A street lined with shops and closed to vehicles.
3. A shady public walk or promenade.

Here is a link refering to OP's exact place as a pedestrian mall (scroll down for a section labeled "Maybe the Largest LED Screen in the World"


In British English the word parade is often used for an open walking area, whether covered or not. http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/parade offers the description a public square or promenade.

  • 1
    Welcome to ELU. I voted up, but I would suggest you to provide a link to "parade". For example: definition n. 6 in American Heritage Dictionary "6. A public square or promenade."
    – user19148
    Commented Jun 23, 2012 at 17:28

In the UK, I suppose it would be called a pedestrianised zone.

  • 1
    In AmE, this would be pedestrian zone.
    – Mitch
    Commented Jun 24, 2012 at 18:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.