Is there a word that describes a person who constantly exaggerates? Exaggerating both facts and their emotions?

Edit: the word should have a negative connotation, as if you are criticizing someone for exaggerating too much.

  • 1
    The word alarmist will work in some contexts, basically where they're overstating a threat. – Carl Smith Jul 20 '13 at 14:58
  • I love this question and it deserves a million upvotes... – EleventhDoctor Jul 28 '15 at 12:27

Exaggerator and overstater are both English words that fit your meaning.


How about histrionic? Or drama queen?

  • 'Histrionic' refers more to character and style rather than speech right? I was thinking of a word more relevant to exaggeration in speech hmm.. – darrentnh Jun 13 '12 at 9:09

How about braggart? ~ " A vain bragger, one who brags much."


  • Only when exaggerating own positive qualities. You won't call a braggart one who says "I'm utterly hopeless" about being less than perfect. – SF. Jun 13 '12 at 18:58

Bullshitter comes to mind, although it is potentially offensive.

  • Welcome to English Language & Usage! Good answer, although you may want to provide a reference and re-write in a less informal style. See How to Answer Questions. – Bradd Szonye Apr 20 '13 at 21:17
  • 3
    Know what? Where it doesn't give offense, bullshitter is the most accurate word, and the one most common in speech. – user1678063 Apr 20 '13 at 21:32
  • 1
    @user1678063 could you please rewrite your comment in a more formal style - this is a very serious forum, where we all have to be dead formal. – Billy Moon Apr 20 '13 at 23:25

You might try Munchausen, after the fictional (and fiction-creating) German Baron. Be careful, though; the word has been taken up by the medical profession to describe somebody who constantly fantasises or lives in a dream world, which is stronger than the original meaning, and probably stronger than you're looking for.

  • To avoid the medical connotation one could refer to the person as a "Baron Munchausen". – Hot Licks Apr 2 '15 at 12:12

Exaggerator works fine, but if you want something fancier you could try on hyperbolist.

  • 'hyperbolic' is an existing word (an adjective though) but it might be misunderstood (being too well associated with mathematics). – Mitch Jun 13 '12 at 13:17
  • Hyperbolist is more of a neutral word right? I am looking for something that has a negative connotation, as if you are criticizing someone for exaggerating too much in speech. – darrentnh Jun 13 '12 at 15:10
  • @darrentnh: It reads as sarcastic praise to me, which is probably more subtle than you're looking for. – chaos Jun 13 '12 at 15:46

What do you think about Coproglot ?

  • 3
    This word is not standard English right? – darrentnh Jun 13 '12 at 9:06
  • Define standard English. This is urban dictionary aka dictionary of slang. – speedyGonzales Jun 13 '12 at 9:14
  • 1
    "coproglot" should be avoided, since the hearer may think it is related to other words with prefix "copro-". – GEdgar Jun 13 '12 at 12:48
  • 2
    @GEdgar, it's probably the whole point. If "polyglot" means you speak many languages, coproglot means you speak shit. – zneak Jun 13 '12 at 14:10

You could call him a "Commander McBragg"

McBragg is a a cartoon character that tells stories in his English club about his many exploits that are hard to believe. Here are a examples and a link to a Wikepedia description:




protected by tchrist Dec 13 '14 at 17:46

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.