Is there a name for this characteristic of the human body (see the arrows in the picture below)? They seem as 'holes' on the back.

I'm not able to imagine one

picture of feature

3 Answers 3


These holes/depressions are called dimples of venus. Also called back dimples or butt dimples.

  • 5
    Hmmm... Venus with that picture. Me thinks someone is just jonesing for points with a pretty picture... Commented Jun 6, 2012 at 20:10
  • @AffableGeek See, the picture isn't pretty anymore.
    – user20934
    Commented Jun 7, 2012 at 6:44

The single-word you are requesting is "dimples."


These are also called sacral dimples, as the lower back is the sacrum.

  • Welcome to EL&U. Your answer would be improved if you could link to an authoritative reference. The help center may also provide beneficial guidance.
    – choster
    Commented May 28, 2014 at 18:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.