Is there a name for this characteristic of the human body (see the arrows in the picture below)? They seem as 'holes' on the back.

I'm not able to imagine one

picture of feature


These holes/depressions are called dimples of venus. Also called back dimples or butt dimples.

  • 5
    Hmmm... Venus with that picture. Me thinks someone is just jonesing for points with a pretty picture... – Affable Geek Jun 6 '12 at 20:10
  • @AffableGeek See, the picture isn't pretty anymore. – user20934 Jun 7 '12 at 6:44

The single-word you are requesting is "dimples."


These are also called sacral dimples, as the lower back is the sacrum.

  • Welcome to EL&U. Your answer would be improved if you could link to an authoritative reference. The help center may also provide beneficial guidance. – choster May 28 '14 at 18:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.