Whenever Britain is abuzz with some celebration, I find these people (cops or soldiers?) in red strutting about in parades wearing an elongated black headdress. Royal parade

Is there a word for this peculiar hat, just like there is a zuchetto to refer to the Pope's cap?

  • +1, but zucchetto is only one of the Pope's caps; so you should edit your question as follow "...a zuchetto to refer to one of the Pope's caps?". – Elberich Schneider Jun 6 '12 at 18:16

It is called a bearskin, and as the wikipedia link shows it is not limited to British soldiers.

  • 1
    Is a zucchetto Catholic? Does a bearskin crap in the woods? – JeffSahol Jun 6 '12 at 18:31
  • @JeffSahol I think the question is, if a bearskin does crap in the woods, does anyone hear it? – NominSim Jun 6 '12 at 18:41

NominSim is right. Also, the people that wear them are soldiers. It is part of the ceremonial uniform of the guards regiments.

They are literally, made of bear skin.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.