I heard half-sack in a TV series before to describe a man with one testicle. Is there any single word to describe that?


Monorchism is the word to describe the state of having a single testicle. See Wikipedia. You could call a person with one testicle as a monorchid individual.

The Greek root -orchis stands for testicle.

|improve this answer|||||
  • Monorchid sounds like it’s French for “my flower”. :) – tchrist Jun 3 '12 at 15:46
  • 1
    @tchrist: In fact it appears to be the other way around; the plant is named after the body part. :-O And this is already a euphemism of sorts; according to that same page the Middle English term for the plant was ballockwort (!). If looked at properly one can see why (caution, explicit botanical diagram). – Nate Eldredge Jun 4 '12 at 3:30

Monorchism is a correct word, but cryptorchidism or cryptorchid is probably the more commonly used/heard word since it is the most common birth defect of male genitalia. It is the absence of one or both testes from the scrotum. With cryptorchidism the testicle may be within the abdomen, undescended — but it is absent from the scrotum. A boy or man with one undescended testicle could be called a unilateral cryptorchid. (This condition occurs in veterinary species, as well.)

|improve this answer|||||
  • "Cryptorchidism" sounds like hidden (rather than lacking) testicles. – CesarGon Jun 3 '12 at 18:54
  • @CesarGon, They are...they are up in the abdomen (undescended), but that is also true for monorchism. – JLG Jun 3 '12 at 20:58
  • 1
    I know. The OP seems to be asking for a word denoting someone lacking one testicle, hence my remark. – CesarGon Jun 3 '12 at 23:28
  • @CesarGon, Lacking one in the scrotum. (Can't believe I'm having a serious discussion about this.) Actually missing a testicle is very rare. It is usually a problem with one or both not descending into the scrotum (as the link I provided shows). – JLG Jun 3 '12 at 23:36
  • 1
    @DavidSchwartz: No. To get rid of a cancer. – CesarGon Jun 6 '12 at 18:34