It is hard to describe the action, so here is an example:

What is the word or phrase that best describes this noise made by a person?

  • Are we talking about the sound which occurs at 1:53? – Andrew Leach May 27 '12 at 8:49
  • When you do that while working with a horse, we call that clucking. The trainer clucks at about 1:29. – JLG May 27 '12 at 13:56

How about tsk? It's a "dental click" pronounced tisk. I think you could also use cluck but it would probably depend upon the context.


If the request relates generally to the making some kind of imitative sound then mouth sound effect might be the best and most obvious choice here. The clip shows a character imitating a vampire hiss (I assume) and SFX Source has a listing of "mouth sound effects, mouth sounds" including lots of vampire hisses (along with chattering teeth, clucking, pops and so on).

Sound effect, while shorter, could also mean a variety of sounds that the mouth can't make.


Onomatopoeia -more details below http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onomatopoeia

  • Onomatopoeia is the process of creating words in imitation of sounds; it is not the word for the actual sound that is being requested. – choster Sep 23 '13 at 21:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.