I posted a (technically inclined) question at StackOverflow — and I agree with a particular commentary, and we'd like to get your opinion. Here's my original question:

Dropdown menu.

But ours open upward - 'popup', as in 'popup menu' has proved oddly confusing to some of our business oriented folk. So we tried throwing in 'vertical menu' and then.. this was a mistake.. 'vertical animating menu'.. so what would you call it?

And here's the original thread for our commentary. It'll be interesting to see what you all can come up with!


I suggest a "flyout" menu, which is basically what the Start button has. You click an item, a menu flies out in some direction from that item.

| improve this answer | |
  • Ok, checking this as the 'correct' answer, for its more generic application - though I do like 'rising menu' :) – danjah Dec 17 '10 at 1:09

As it doesn't seem like there is already a terminology, the simplest route would be to use the antonym of dropdown: "riseup menu". However it sounds a bit clunky, maybe because it is a neologism.

EDIT: I initialy proposed uprise instead of riseup but as @Tomalak pointed, not only riseup is in fact analoguous to dropdown, but also uprise would have a completely different meaning.

| improve this answer | |
  • Analoguous to "dropdown" would be "riseup". Easier to pronounce, IMHO. – Tomalak Dec 16 '10 at 9:17
  • @Tomalak, yeah you are right, I brainfarted. – Eldroß Dec 16 '10 at 9:23
  • 3
    Buildling on that, maybe just 'rising menu' would sound less awkward? – Benjol Dec 16 '10 at 9:32
  • Bingo, I like that one - 'rising menu'. I'll share that just now, many thanks, but any more suggestions also welcome! – danjah Dec 16 '10 at 10:03
  • 1
    I think Benjol should add his suggestion as an answer - it's certainly the one I would endorse. – CJM Dec 16 '10 at 12:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.