Which word can I use to describe too much light, i.e., when I have switched on 3 bulbs while there was a need for only 1 bulb?

  • 2
    Any reason why you couldn't simply say overly bright? Does it need to be a single word? Just curious. – J.R. May 16 '12 at 1:34
  • I hadn’t realized that Thesaurus vulgaris had gone extinct. I’m sure he would have settled this question right away. – tchrist May 16 '12 at 3:13

If the light is too bright, you might use terms dazzling or glaring. If instead you refer to cost of running several bulbs, say extravagant or wasteful.


The light is blinding if excessive light, and not excessive power bills, is what bothers you.



The place has been overlit: it has been provided with more than the required amount of lighting (intensity), such as an overlit stadium for an all-night match.


If positive: brilliant

If negative: glaring, blinding

  • As a noun, you'd use brilliance. – Jez May 17 '12 at 14:54

Excessive does it for me. The effect, if dazzling or glaring, or the power consumption, if extravagant or wasteful, might lead to different choices (q.v.), but if it's simply a matter of more light than was needed or desirable, then ...

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.