Which word can I use to describe random nonsense sounds like 'aaaa', 'papa' etc. from a child who still cannot speak.

6 Answers 6


Two words are generally used to describe baby talk (the definitions are from Chambers):

  • Prattle — "(of a young child) to utter baby-talk"
  • Babble — "to speak like a baby"
  • +1 You could include links to corresponding entries from Chambers online as well, for completeness.
    – Kris
    May 15, 2012 at 16:59
  • 1
    Though "prattle" is usually used to mean "chatter" and isn't common as a technical term, I don't think. May 15, 2012 at 18:49

For sounds like 'aaaa,' I would say cooing.

Sounds like 'mama,' I would say babbling.

I would probably avoid prattling because it is also used to mean annoying, incessant talking.

  • Agree that "prattle" tends to be used in reference to chatty adults. May 21, 2012 at 23:57

Babble fits your description. It can be used as a noun or verb.

  • @RegDwight - thanks for changing the backticks for italics. Just for future reference, is there a standard to follow as far as which one to use when?
    – dj18
    May 15, 2012 at 14:35

According to the Facts on File Descriptionary (2000), one apt term for such sounds is lallation:

lallation any noise or utterance typical of a baby.

Merriam-Webster's Third New International Dictionary (1986) generally confirms this meaning:

lallation n 1 : infantile utterance whether in infants or in older speakers (as by retardation or mimicry) 2 : a defective articulation of the letter l, the substitution of \l\ for another sound, or the substitution of another sound for \l\—compare LAMBDACISM

Interestingly, the Oxford English Dictionary, Compact Edition (1971) asserts that the "childish utterance" meaning of lallation is obsolete, and that the only current meaning is this:

An imperfect pronunciation of r, by which the sound of that letter is confused with that of l; lambdacism.

For the record, the Third International Dictionary defines lambdacism as follows:

lambdacism n 1 : excessive use of the letter l or the sound \l\ (as in alliteration) 2 : defective articulation of \l\ or substitution of other sounds for it 3 : substitution of \l\ for another sound [example omitted] —compare LALLATION


If the baby is repeating sounds then it's echolalia.
Only tangetially related to your question I know, but I like the word.

  • interesting. I only knew this word as related to the disorder.
    – Karl
    May 16, 2012 at 5:08

This might not be helpful... because this might be old... but here's something anyway! Mumble, blabber, and Lisp (as in lisped).

  • Back in 2012 there wasn't a baby in the White House.
    – Hot Licks
    Mar 18, 2020 at 0:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.