I have seen the following formula when writing an academic article:

To the best of our knowledge, this is the first work that shows how to optimize a non-submodular function for ....

I like this construction in a paper, and I am wondering if there is a way to replace "To the best of our knowledge" by a similar expression that conveys a similar message, i.e. novelty, as far as one can tell from the literature.


When you say "to the best of my/our knowledge," you're saying that "you think your statement is true, because it is based on what you know/believe, but you are not completely sure" [Macmillan].

So any phrase that expresses that lack of complete certainty that fits the context will do. In the context of an academic paper, you might say:

We believe that this is the first work that shows how to optimize a non-submodular function...

| improve this answer | |
  • +1, as "We believe" is an excellent replacement to the phrase in OP in scientific settings. – Ilonpilaaja Sep 21 at 12:19

What about "As far as I/we know" or "As far as I/we can tell"

| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    In conversation, "as far as we can tell" would be fine. I'd avoid that form in an academic paper, however. – J.R. Apr 25 '12 at 23:46
  • 3
    This is more of a variation, but I have heard it as "To the extent of our knowledge" – Ian Apr 26 '12 at 0:04

You may use as far as we know.

| improve this answer | |

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.