What do you call a person who collects recipes, ingredients or other cooking related materials? Is there a name for classifications like this (like taxonomy etc.)?

  • Maybe a cup-boarder, sounding like hoarder? Or just straight up cup-hoarder?
    – lonstar
    Commented Jul 9, 2012 at 18:26

4 Answers 4


While several terms loosely fit the criteria (such as a culinarian), a culinophile or reagenteur speaks more to my tastes (if you don't mind portmanteaux).

As for what one might call the group, taxonomy or classification are appropriate when ascribing the term to a family derived from a particular set of criteria. Plenty of additional terms are available in online Thesauri, if you're curious.

  • 2
    +1 purely for introducing me to 'partmanteux'. I shall impress people with it over the dining table at Christmas.
    – CJM
    Commented Dec 9, 2010 at 10:29
  • @CJM Reciprocal +1, for making my morning with this comment.
    – MrGomez
    Commented Dec 9, 2010 at 16:40
  • 3
    And you'd get a +1 for me if had spelled portmanteau right Commented Dec 9, 2010 at 17:23
  • 1
    portmanteaux is the plural of portmanteau
    – b.roth
    Commented Dec 16, 2010 at 16:24
  • 2
    @Bruno I'm assuming the statement relates to the misspelling "partmanteux" in CJM's comment. As for my own usage, it's a deliberate pluralization as noted.
    – MrGomez
    Commented Dec 19, 2010 at 9:21

"Foodie" (although that suggests someone interested in preparing and eating the food too).


I would say food enthusiast, or maybe food lover (though the second is too close to “someone who loves food in great quantity” for me to be completely confortable with it).


How about the term "culinary collector"? It seems to be both precise and general enough, while remaining straightforward and unpretentious. Additional subheadings could be inserted, such as those for literature (cookbooks, articles, essays and recipes); equipment (antique, specialty or regional); videos (cooking shows, travelogues, even historic/cultural documentaries).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.