Is there any term for a person who has changed his name? For example, there was a man who was named "Jacob" when he was born, but when he reached the age of 18 he decided to change his name to "Joseph". Is there any term for this kind of person? Or at least for this kind of practice?

  • 2
    The Artist Formerly Known as Prince.
    – JLG
    Commented Apr 12, 2012 at 21:43
  • @JLG - lol. Of course that was just said because he used an unpronounceable name (as a clever way to get back at a record company he was contractually obligated to).
    – T.E.D.
    Commented Apr 12, 2012 at 22:15

2 Answers 2


The term is "renamed" and the practice is called "renaming" as we read in legal documents.


Well, when such changes aren't totally unexpected, (eg: a woman changing her last name upon marriage), the old name is often appended to the new one with a "nee" in the middle. Supposedly this is French for "born as", so it could reasonably be applied in any situation where a person's birth name has been changed.

  • wiktionary says "When used for a man, the masculine form né should be used." Commented Apr 13, 2012 at 1:09
  • I almost got into that. That's the rule in French. However, we generally don't borrow the gender rules of words when we borrow the words in English. So in the few times you see this "in the wild" attached to a man's name in English, you will typically see both es. People who know the loaner language tend to take the position that we ought to borrow the rules along with the words we borrow, so I'm not surprised to see someone arguing that.
    – T.E.D.
    Commented Apr 13, 2012 at 14:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.