Title pretty much askes the question. What is the term for words like 'bottle', 'cup' or 'clove' (as in clove of garlic). Are they counters, countables, determiners...? I swear it's on the tip of my tongue but I cannot find the correct term.

  • 2
    Wouldn't those be "units"?
    – Marthaª
    Dec 7, 2010 at 21:41

1 Answer 1


What you are talking about is a measure word, more formally known as a numeral classifier.

(You could also use "counter".)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.