How to refer to the piece of furniture that bars use to store their drinks? The one that is behind the bartender.

  • A shelf? A cupboard? Maybe a rack? I don't know of any word for it that is specific to bars. – user16269 Apr 8 '12 at 9:30

I believe that's called the back bar, a generic term referring to the hutch, cabinets, shelves, etc., behind where the bartender stands.

Here's a screen shot from a store that sells bar furniture:

enter image description here

Note: Example used for illustrative purposes only.  I am not trying to promote the website.
  • 1
    It is a back bar. The term top shelf refers to the most prominently displayed (by position, lighting or both) shelf in a back bar, which can be just a bunch of shelves. I worked in a very dismal bar in college, and was often told to dust something that consisted of cheap Ikea shelves known as the 'back bar'. – Tim Post Apr 8 '12 at 15:51

Use "shelves". That's the word that would come naturally to me.

  • Shelves have a slightly different meaning - "top shelf" liquor is generally the most expensive. – Adam Musch Apr 9 '12 at 18:53

I thought that was called a bar. When you see an "antique bar" sold, it is often the piece that houses the liquor, not the counter where the patrons sit.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.