What's the name of the part of the dentist's chair used for pouring water into a glass so the patient can wash his/her mouth?

  • Somebody should ask a dentist or dental hygienist. I think of it as a 'spitbowl'
    – Mitch
    Commented Mar 30, 2012 at 13:25
  • 1
    @Mitch: No, that's where you spit after you rinse, I sure hope that your dentist doesn't fill pour into your cup from the contents of the spitbowl. ;) Commented Mar 30, 2012 at 14:57
  • @FrustratedWithFormsDesigner: hmmm...yes...I thought of the whole assembly (the spigot and bowl as one thing and named the bowl).
    – Mitch
    Commented Mar 30, 2012 at 15:17
  • Many American dental setups have no chair-attached water-pouring-thing, but instead have a water-bottle + pump + hose + spigot-on-handpiece + suction device attached to the dental chair. The dentist or hygenist presses one handpiece-lever to squirt water into patient's mouth, then another lever to suction the water back out after patient swishes the water. No sink or bowl on or near the chair. Commented Mar 30, 2012 at 18:26

4 Answers 4


It's called a Cuspidor. The entire unit together with the facet and the sink.

I'm a dentist :-) so I know.


A slightly specialized water dispenser? Maybe call it a "dentist's water dispenser"?


You seem to be asking about the faucet and not the basin, so that's what I suggest.


I have heard my dentist call it a spout, as in "Now you can fill that cup with water from the spout."

  • I've deleted my answer since it doesn't actually answer the question. Yours comes from a dentist and makes sense, therefore +1
    – Irene
    Commented Mar 30, 2012 at 15:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.