Law term that means that some document, paper or deal has no power in law.

In Russian it is ничтожность (ничтожный договор), in Ukrainian it's нікчемність (нікчемний договір).

I've already asked it on otvety.google.ru but I'm not sure that they are right.

  • illawgical. ;-) – MrZander Mar 29 '12 at 0:09

The phrase in UK/US law is null and void (see meaning 7).

null and void: without legal force or effect; not valid: This contract is null and void.

  • 3
    That works in US too. You could also say "unenforceable". – Jay Mar 28 '12 at 15:30

It is as Matt said null and void, but only if at some point it were legally valid. If it never was valid, you would describe it as not legally binding.

  • Good point. I hadn't thought of it that way. – Matt E. Эллен Mar 28 '12 at 17:04
  • 1
    Equivalently, it is "a nullity", which works in English and is the literal translation of ничтожность. – Mark Beadles Mar 29 '12 at 2:35
  • Non-binding is another related option, as in Congress passed a non-binding resolution opposing the practice — i.e. Congress said they oppose the practice, but they didn't enact a law against it. – choster Mar 29 '12 at 17:11

In Standards documents, you'll find the term "non-normative," referring to passages which are merely explanatory and not to be considered part of the requirements specified by the text.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.