I know palindrome is the term for a word that works backwards and forwards, but is there a similar term for a word that can be flipped/reversed and remain the same?

For example, the word SWIMS or the number 6009.

  • This has nothing to do with English Language or Usage. This is about glyph shapes in typography. Next, model trains? Mar 26 '12 at 14:31
  • 1
    This question is probably better asked on Puzzling.SE
    – Mitch
    Aug 10 '18 at 19:44
  • 1
    Why is this closed as offtopic? Asking for the English word for a concepts is 90% of the questions I see here. Every one of the related topics I see is "Word for ___" or "Is there a term for ___"
    – trlkly
    Oct 10 '18 at 3:10

The examples, SWIMS and 6009, aren't the same upside down, so I assume you mean under a 180 rotation. I've always heard them referred to as rotational ambigrams.


Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.