Is there a word for not letting someone break up with you by avoiding the conversation, so it feels more like you are talking to yourself, and you can't let go of it at all? I know there's words like breadcrumbing, but it's almost the opposite of that?

  • This is a relationship problem not a language issue.
    – Xanne
    Commented May 26 at 23:54
  • there's never any overlap @Xanne ?
    – user492231
    Commented May 27 at 0:33
  • 1
    You have the words: avoid the conversation.
    – Xanne
    Commented May 27 at 3:10
  • It's a hyponym of 'denial'. Commented May 27 at 13:36
  • What do you mean by "avoiding the conversation": diverting it to other topics or digressing, shutting the person up, or avoiding any situation when you might talk.
    – Stuart F
    Commented May 27 at 14:31

1 Answer 1


Deflect might be a good choice:

Cambridge Dictionary - Deflect (Particularly 2 and 3):

To cause someone to change from or stop what they were intending to do

To avoid something such as criticism, blame, or a question being directed at you

  • I deflected their attempts to discuss breaking up with me.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.