Is there a word for hopping up and down with excitement, in the way a child does in anticipation of a gift for example?

  • Closely related.
    – tchrist
    Commented May 25 at 14:23
  • 2
    There are lots of phrases for excited kids, like bouncing off the walls (although I'd associate that and some others more with kids being restive, full of sugary drinks, and hyped-up or over-tired, than excited about a gift.) Being hyper is probably frowned upon these days as offensive to kids with ADHD and related disorders, and again is more for unprovoked, uncontrolled craziness. I doubt you'll find a single word with precisely that meaning.
    – Stuart F
    Commented May 25 at 14:31
  • @StuartF I don't think anyone with ADHD considers that usage of hyper offensive; I certainly don't.
    – alphabet
    Commented May 25 at 14:57
  • Can you show how you would use this word in a sentence, inserting a _____ where the word would go? Commented May 25 at 15:44
  • 1
    Oh, now we look for a noun. Putting that snowball aside, jumping for joy. Commented May 26 at 1:42

3 Answers 3


How about bubble over with excitement?

To exhibit or express some emotion that one is unable to contain.

The kids always bubble over with excitement on the last day of school before summer.

[Farlex Dictionary of Idioms]

bubble over with (something)

  • 3
    Certainly bubble over with excitement has a currency that may not be found in verbs like gambol, caper, cavort, prankle, scamper, skipper, curvet, tripudiate, firk, flisk, frolic, prance, dance, sally, fling, sault, bale, terp, subsult, pract, stend, exult, saltate, ebulliate.
    – tchrist
    Commented May 25 at 14:49
  • Thank you. If I can't find a word for this, a good compromise would be then using a synonym of the emotion: like giddy, thrilled, etc..
    – George
    Commented May 25 at 15:33
  • I think, a word specifically for this not existing, either a verb or an adjective could be used: I need to tell someone to act that way. Frolic is very interesting since it is both a verb and an adjective--also a noun, but I don't think it applies here. Given this, it seems frolicsome may be the best compromise.
    – George
    Commented May 27 at 12:19

exuberate [verb; intransitive]:

1: to become exuberant; show exuberance

  • [He] exuberated over his victory


and the adjective:

exuberant very energetic, and showing the happiness of being alive:

  • He is an exuberant dancer.

[Cambridge Dictionary]

(though I'd use a phrase instead)


In adjective form, I suggest JUBILANT: "feeling or expressing great happiness and triumph." Does that come close enough for your particular context?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.