Looking for a term for when a word is used incorrectly for whatever reason.


Even thought at the moment


Even though at the moment

I’m sure this is a bad example. But I used it directly from something I just read.

  • 2
    The mistake may be typographical, rather than a 'use of English' error. I think the reason does matter. The general term is 'mistake'. Commented May 21 at 20:58
  • In your example, the mistake would be considered a typo. The general term for a usage error is solecism.
    – Zan700
    Commented May 21 at 21:36
  • @Edwin Ashworth But the answers in that link are the wrong answers. Solecism is the correct answer.
    – Zan700
    Commented May 21 at 23:06
  • @Zan700 I think you're right that the suggested link doesn't quite answer the question. But solecism doesn't appear to be right either. Barbarism, perhaps?
    – user405662
    Commented May 22 at 3:25
  • @Zan700 Plenty of other suggestions at Word for when one uses the wrong word in a sentence. Bottom line: covered exhaustively here before. Commented May 22 at 14:14


Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.