Is there a term to refer to a ridge that runs across the bridge of the nose that some people have?


enter image description here

enter image description here

Ideally it should be a more simple word rather than an anatomical term

Example sentences: "His nose had a _______" or "The bridge of his nose was _______"

  • A profile or three-quarter view might be more identifiable. Here are some nose shapes. Commented May 13 at 18:32
  • From The Dental Cosmos (1874) - A pronounced bridge is common among the white race , while a depressed bridge is the rule among Asiatic people. The negro is remarkable for the depressed bridge, and enormous expanse of tip and wings. But I don't know if what you're talking about is a pug nose. Commented May 13 at 18:38

1 Answer 1


This is known as having a wide nasal dorsum. Hete's a before-and-after photo of someone's nasal dorsum getting narrowed:

wide nasal dorsum

My source is this plastic surgery website; before you click on that link, note that it contains some rather gruesome anatomical images.

(You mention wanting a "simple word" for this, but of course if such a widely-known word existed then one would hardly need to ask about it here.)

  • OP could have found this but specifically wanted a non-anatomical term.
    – digimunk
    Commented May 15 at 13:24
  • If OP found it they would have said in the question, per site rules. I think we can discount that.
    – Stuart F
    Commented Jun 13 at 8:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.