I'm trying to gather a list of appropriate words that relate in analogous ways for 5 classical senses. Right now I think I've got:


(but I welcome corrections on any of these)

But skin/hands is tricky. I think dermal is in there (but maybe cutaneous is better?) . I'm not sure if tactile or haptic is more appropriate. And I don't begin to have a guess as to what the other 2 words would be.

Any help on any of these would be greatly appreciated.

  • 1
    What are the different categories for each sense?
    – Stuart F
    Feb 22 at 15:01
  • haptic is for iPhones. [she smiled]
    – Lambie
    Feb 22 at 16:48
  • 1
    The rough breakdown I'm using up there is: of or relating to [sense organ] : of or relating to [sense organ] or [sense] : of or relating to [sense]
    – Sirskip
    Feb 22 at 21:52
  • 1
    sensory, not sensatory.
    – Lambie
    Feb 22 at 22:54
  • 1
    Thanks @Lambie no idea how/why I screwed that up
    – Sirskip
    Feb 23 at 0:52

1 Answer 1


One word I'd certainly suggest is tactile, whose prototypical meaning is:

tactile [adjective]:

of or connected with the sense of touch.

[ODE courtesy of Google]

(There are related subsenses.)

An example of this usage is:

  • It had also been reported, although merely in passing, that they had lost all tactile sensations when they became ill.

[Liljencrantz & Olausson; Frontiers]

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.