There are words for relationships obtained by marriage or partnership of family members: xxx-in-law. But, surprisingly, there is no word (that I know of) for the parents of your child's partner. Or is there? Or did we forget it?

I wish there was a word for it (also in Dutch, my native language), because it is always hard to describe this common relationship concisely.

For who is interested: the Malay language has besan: relationship between parents whose children are married to each other.

  • 2
    The parents of my son's wife. They are: my son's in-laws. I don't know a shorter name.
    – GEdgar
    Mar 20, 2012 at 18:24
  • 1
    Quntae and qunba - Google Books shows words for this in an African language.
    – Daniel
    Mar 20, 2012 at 19:07
  • 2
    Not every single concept can be expressed by a single word. It's not that surprising that this particular concept has no word for it. Mar 20, 2012 at 19:23
  • 1
    If you're in a context where "our" clearly means yourself and your spouse, it's unlikely anyone would misunderstand if you referred to them as "our in-laws". Mar 20, 2012 at 20:27
  • 1
    I’ve often referred to my daughters in-laws as the out-laws 😂 Nov 5, 2022 at 2:53

1 Answer 1


There is none that I've ever heard. I would simply use son's/daughter's in-laws.

  • Yes, and I do. It always seems to require some two-stage expression. One word would be easier and more elegant. And less detached. Mar 20, 2012 at 18:30
  • 1
    Of course, no, there isn't would be a valid answer. I wait a while to see what will come across. Mar 20, 2012 at 18:39

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.