I have been recently watching a channel run by an Irish guy and he has many interesting speech quirks (like the fact he still pronounces "wh-" like <hw>). But the thing that puzzles me most is the way he pronounces the word "layout". Three times so far, I've heard him pronounce the T in "layout" basically like a rolled R. For example, listen to the way he says it at 52:57 in this video. (He does it again a few seconds later)

Have you heard this before? Is it specific to certain regions? How would you call this sound?

  • 1
    No, there is no r at all, rolled or otherwise.
    – Lambie
    Commented Nov 23, 2023 at 15:56
  • You might want to check out this Youtube post. Until I watched it last night, I had no idea why nns often sound klunky pronouncing words like trip and drip. I now realize that I'm actually virtually incapable of enunciating either of those words the way the orthography would suggest. My trip starts with ch as in chin, not t as in tin, and my drip starts with g as in gin, not d as in din. Same as most native speakers, but unless it had been explicitly pointed out I'd never have realized that! Commented Nov 23, 2023 at 17:05
  • ...link for above. Years ago I was fascinated to discover that not only do most people pronounce prints and prince exactly the same - they consistently deny this, and keep asking me to hear what they think is an obvious difference (but it's mostly a difference in the speaker's mind, not his mouth! :) Commented Nov 23, 2023 at 17:08
  • I hear the reduced /t/ at 52.57 as a minimally-articulated /d/, not a "rolled R". Similar to the way many/most Americans reduce /t/ to /d/ in lots of words, rather than the way Liverpudlian Cilla Black, for example, stereotypically reduced Lot of love = Lotta love to Lorra love. I think most Irish speakers today would rather copy Americans than Liverpudlians! Commented Nov 23, 2023 at 17:16

1 Answer 1


As pointed out in the comments, what you're hearing there is flapping, the pronunciation of /t/ as voiced [ɾ]. This is most commonly associated with American English, but it can be found across dialects. As Wikipedia notes, it is quite characteristic of "(especially Northern) Irish English." If Discogs is to be believed, that speaker is originally from Limerick, which would make him a speaker of Irish English, though of course not Northern Irish English.

  • Thank you for the interesting links!
    – Gabel Luc
    Commented Nov 23, 2023 at 18:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.