Is there a single word to describe someone who disregards the fine details of something and only focuses on what they believe is the bigger picture? I'm looking for a pejorative connotation similar to "pedantic" which is the inverse: focusing on small details while ignoring the bigger picture.

I've tried searching here, Google, and Reddit but couldn't find anything specifically about this. I considered "ignorant", "didactic", but those are not quite right.


1 Answer 1


In some circumstances you could use sciolist.

Your Dictionary
One who exhibits only superficial knowledge; a self-proclaimed expert with little real understanding.


the practice of opinionating on subjects of which one has only superficial knowledge

Because these definitions involve superficial, they have negative connotations.

For example:

If something written or said is superficial, it does not show any real understanding of the subject and does not include many details


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.