I once saw a word for a hole carved out in a wall on purpose to accept a wooden crossbeam that fits into the hole. I think it had a "p" in it, something like "pit hole" ?...

  • You need to be clearer. Are you asking about a mediaeval castle or a modern building? Are you asking about a slot (three sides) or a hole (four sides)? If it is a hole, does the hole have an end? Is the crossbeam metal or wood?
    – Greybeard
    Nov 20 at 10:47
  • @Greybeard: I think a "wooden crossbeam" as mentioned in the question is almost certainly made out of wood, not metal.
    – bakunin
    Nov 20 at 11:04
  • It's in the context of old / ancient architecture with stone or brick walls. It may also apply to e.g. rock-cut walls in a 19th cent. mine. Such holes are usually square and matched to the intended profile of the wooden crossbeam.
    – MrSparkly
    Nov 20 at 11:26
  • A padstone is the mount on which the end of the beam rests, made of tougher material than the wall, and might be in a hole in the wall, which might sometimes be called a padstone hole; is that what you're thinking of? (A padstone might informally be called a pad but I'm not sure if that's standard terminology.) I don't know a particular name for the hole otherwise (but padstone seems current terminology so there may be older names). You're probably better asking in the engineering or DIY SEs.
    – Stuart F
    Nov 20 at 12:50


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.