I am using AI image generators and I want to make some pics.

How do you call this headgear?

enter image description here

In Russian it is called "фуражка с высокой тульей" and Google search returns exactly this.

But if I translate this to English using Google Translate or even AI, I get "high-crowned cap". The Google search returns images similar to a baseball cap:

enter image description here

Even worse: when I ask the artificial imtelligence (like DALL-E) to paint "фуражка с высокой тульей" (in Russian!) or "high-crowned cap" (in English) I get the same results, similar to the second Google search, that is, headgear similar to a baseball cap.

So, what should I call the thing to get "фуражка с высокой тульей" fom an image generator or describe it to an English speaker?

P.S. I was told that the general term for фуражка in English is "peacked cap", even though I want a specific type of фуражка, I tried this with AI and got only this:

enter image description here

Worse, the AI seems to absolutely not to understand what the term "peaked cap" stands for (or I do not). When I uploaded an image of German WWI infantry, the AI identified it as "British infantry". I asked, why, and it replied "because they wear peaked caps". I said that the term "peaked cap" refers to a cap with a visor, not pickelhaube, of which the AI got surprised and said it thought that "peaked cap" means a cap with a peak in the middle like in mountains.

  • 2
    Since most English speakers aren't familiar with this specific type of hat, it would most likely be called something like "Russian Army hat" or "Bulgarian Navy hat" (or whatever service it is actually associated with), to make it clear to readers the implications of seeing the hat.
    – The Photon
    Nov 16 at 6:34
  • @ThePhoton the term "фуражка с высокой тульей" does not refer to anything Russian specifically, it is notorious as the typical headwear of Nazi officers or American generals in Soviet cartoons.
    – Anixx
    Nov 16 at 6:37
  • Then you could call it a "Nazi officer's cap" or "American army officer's cap". There is a Wikipedia article peaked cap that also lists "service cap", "barracks cover" (cover is military jargon for a hat), and "combination cap" as synonyms, but those terms might not be familiar to readers who haven't been in the service.
    – The Photon
    Nov 16 at 6:42
  • @ThePhoton I do not want specific national insignia on them, and "peaked cap" results in what you can see in the bottom of the post, non-military eadgear at all. Aklso, how to differentiate "фуражка с высокой тульей" from "фуражка с низкой тульей"?
    – Anixx
    Nov 16 at 6:50
  • 1
    You fail to explain what specific feature of the cap is important. Is it the particular shape of the top of the cap, its angle, its size, its material? Or some part of the decoration? How would you distinguish it from other caps? It can probably be identified either by descriptive features or by naming the military unit that wears it, but maybe not in a more succinct way. If it's worn by English-speaking soldiers they probably have a name for it, otherwise there won't be a short descriptive name. (Although I did enjoy reading about you arguing with the AI.)
    – Stuart F
    Nov 16 at 9:51


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.