I seem to remember it's a two-word-term (not totally sure) like "____ self".

We all know that only when a subject has occurred before can we use reflexive pronouns like "itself". For example, "We introduced ourselves". So if I wanna ignore the subject, I can use "[verb]", + "[____ self]" to represent itself, himself, herself....

Can someone tell me the term I have forgotten?

  • 2
    What do you mean by "ignore the subject"? Can you provide some example sentences of where this might be used?
    – alphabet
    Nov 14 at 3:19
  • Thank u for comment. Eg. "xx self should recognize this situation" instead of "We ourselves should recognize this situation" Nov 14 at 5:03
  • You're looking for a word you can put before "self," i.e. in place of the "xx", so that it will have the same meaning as "We ourselves"?
    – alphabet
    Nov 14 at 5:20
  • Yeah, thats right. What's more, 'xx self' can replace whatever you want like "we ourselves" and "he himself". Nov 14 at 5:27
  • "They themselves"?
    – Joachim
    Nov 14 at 11:04


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.