I'm looking for a noun that means "estranged adult child".

I want to be able to say "I'm a [estranged adult child]"

Is there a word for "estranged adult child"?

  • If you refer to a child over the age of majority having lost former closeness and affection with his parents, I don't think that you will find a single word for such definition.
    – Graffito
    Nov 1 at 0:05
  • Not an answer but… My parents have disowned me = refuse to acknowledge or maintain any connection with.
    – Mari-Lou A
    Nov 1 at 2:07
  • 1
    Not exactly the right thing, but you might want to consider "black sheep".
    – Hot Licks
    Nov 1 at 2:40
  • You might say "I'm completely independent" or "I'm on my own". Sorry for your pain!
    – suse
    Nov 1 at 2:53
  • I would suggest estranger.
    – Joachim
    Nov 1 at 15:10

1 Answer 1


Forums that deal with such matters generally have no other term except the abbreviations EC, ED, and ES -- that is, estranged child, estranged daughter, estranged son.

However, even those are limited to the specialized arena. As one estranged parent put it in an essay:

To belong to these estrangement groups requires adopting a different language, a language of acronyms that took me a minute to decipher. I hope you never have to use them: ES Estranged Son, ED Estranged Daughter, EC Estranged Child or Children, EG Estranged Grandchildren (their parent’s choice, not the grandparents’), DIL Toxic Daughter-in-Law, SIL Toxic Son-in-Law, IL Toxic In-laws and so on.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.