I have seen some mathematical texts that use words like Lemma, Theorem, Corollary, etc. What would be the appropriate description of such terms? Do they fall under some linguistic category? Is there any general term associated with these kinds of premises?

  • 3
    I think the only linguistic category is "nouns". I don't think linguistics generally deals with the spheres of knowledge that words reference, unless it has some impact on the way the words are used in language.
    – Barmar
    Oct 10 at 4:08
  • 1
    But if you think linguists have some special terminology for them, Linguistics would be the place to ask.
    – Barmar
    Oct 10 at 4:09
  • Do you want a hypernym or more general word covering the meaning of the terms, all of which mean something similar (all describe true statements or results such as you might prove using mathematical reasoning)? If not, you'll have to tell us what makes them form a class, and what words aren't in the class, and why. This seems a question for mathematics or philosophy SE unless you have a question that's actually about the English language.
    – Stuart F
    Oct 10 at 14:00
  • Correct, Looking to see if there can be a more general word covering them (I use assertions or premises).
    – Prego
    Oct 10 at 15:00
  • Some things like Theorems are statements that are true. Whereas others (e.g. Proposition) could turn out to be false.
    – Prego
    Oct 10 at 15:03


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.