The person who applies is called the applicant. What is the correct term to use for the one on the other side of an application? [such as a job application]

In my case, the applicant applies to be promoted as say, a super user. I want to know what is the correct way to name the one who approves or denies the application.

  • 4
    As the widely-varying answers indicate, we need more information about your context to answer this question with any hope of correctness. You added a parenthetical "such as a job application": is this the actual context where you need this term? If not, what is it?
    – Marthaª
    Mar 15, 2012 at 16:28

4 Answers 4


In workflow software applications, this role is commonly called the approver.


Depending on the type of application it is, you could use reviewer, or approval official. In a work setting, you might use the individual's official job title instead: hiring manager, e.g.


In most job-application settings, the person "on the other side of an application" is a clerk, secretary, office worker, interviewer, owner, or employer. Particularly in small companies, the person who hands an applicant a form, tells them which boxes to complete, reads the form over, interviews the applicant, and accepts them or not, is one and the same, the company owner.


We call that person the application processor.

Undergraduate Admissions Application Processor at Virginia Commonwealth University.

Membership Application Processor at a financial institution.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.