I'm looking for a translation of this nautical term (taken from Spanish):

Objeto cilíndrico ubicado en el grátil de la vela mayor que, al ser pasado por la ranura del mástil, permite que ésta sea izada.

A cylindric-shaped object situated on the luff of the mainsail which, when it's inserted through the mast's groove, allows it to be hoisted.

It's the number 2 (two) on this image taken from Wikipedia article.

enter image description here

I couldn't find any site where it's mentioned. Thanks in advance.

1 Answer 1


I was already familiar with the term "slide" for an analogous fitting. I think you're looking for "slug", which is described in the link as:

a round or semicircle shape that is inserted into the track

  • Thanks! Was exactly what I was looking for
    – tac
    Commented Jul 23, 2023 at 20:39

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.