Possible Duplicate:
Pertaining to the Senses

If colorblind is a descriptive word for people who cannot distinguish colors and tone deaf describes people who cannot distinguish one tone from another, is there a similar word for someone is unable to distinguish between one taste and another?

  • 1
    I suffered taste loss for several months last year two weeks into what would have been a 6-month course of lamisil. It was incredibly difficult to convey to anyone just how distressing and restrictive the condition is! Now I just feel sorry for my cat, having since learnt that all domestic cats have lost the ability to detect sweetness. Mar 13, 2012 at 18:23

2 Answers 2


Ageusic describes a loss of taste, which would correspond to deafness and blindness.

Dysgeusic describes alteration of taste, which could correspond to tone-deafness and colorblindness.


I'd like to suggest palate-dull where palate is

b : the sense of taste

  • Upvoted even though I wasn't really looking for a neologism--looking for an existing word. :-) Mar 13, 2012 at 17:51

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.