What is that suburban commercial un-walkable McDonald’s-stuffed area that you would find off the side of a highway called?

Here’s the best image I could find:

Image of a highway

I pass by them and go through them all the time on road trips.

I’ve considered “sprawl” but it doesn’t really fit.

  • It doesn't have a name.
    – TimR
    Commented Jul 1, 2023 at 20:48
  • Can you give a clearer description. What does it include? How does it differ from other areas? Maybe aerial photos, maps, Google Maps links. Your pic just looks like a fast food restaurant but I guess you're not wanting us to identify a Burger King.
    – Stuart F
    Commented Jul 2, 2023 at 8:48

2 Answers 2


That is a strip, defined by MW as:

a commercially developed area especially along a highway

Or by Cambridge as:

a row of stores and small businesses built together along the side of a main road

Depending on its size, it might also be called a strip mall.

MW defines this as:

a long usually one-story building or group of buildings housing several adjacent retail stores or service establishments

Cambridge gives a somewhat more specific definition:

a shopping area consisting of a row of stores, restaurants, other businesses and a place for cars to park, especially along a busy road

A larger stretch of this may be called a stroad, a neologism defined by Wikipedia thus:

According to Marohn, a stroad is a bad combination of two types of vehicular pathways: it is part street—which he describes as a "complex environment where life in the city happens", with pedestrians, cars, buildings close to the sidewalk for easy accessibility, with many (property) entrances / exits to and from the street, and with spaces for temporary parking and delivery vehicles—and part road, which he describes as a "high-speed connection between two places" with wide lanes and limited entrances and exits, and which are generally straight or have gentle curves.

  • A strip mall normally has connected buildings, dedicated parking in front of the stores, and is not bisected by cross streets, as the stores in the photo are.
    – TimR
    Commented Jul 1, 2023 at 22:12
  • Strip is closer but it refers to a section of road with retail location after retail location. You can drive a vehicle down the strip. "Kids were driving up and down the strip in candy-colored Fords and Chevys..." google.com/books/edition/Center_Line/…
    – TimR
    Commented Jul 1, 2023 at 22:15
  • A convincing and well referenced answer that applies well to America. I don’t think we use “strip” in Britain but I cannot think of an alternative. It looks a dump but that word is too general and insulting to qualify.
    – Anton
    Commented Jul 2, 2023 at 7:23
  • The Cambridge lexicographers have not got it right. Close, but no cigar. google.com/…
    – TimR
    Commented Jul 2, 2023 at 21:15

I think it is called “rest area”:

A rest area is a public facility located next to a large thoroughfare such as a motorway, expressway, or highway, at which drivers and passengers can rest, eat, or refuel without exiting onto secondary roads.

Other names include motorway service area, services (UK), travel plaza, rest stop, oasis (US).


  • 5
    What's pictured isn't a rest area, it's a commercial strip that also serves the local community. A highway rest area exclusively serves travelers, there being no local access to it.
    – Jim Mack
    Commented Jul 1, 2023 at 18:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.