I am trying to find a specific term or onomatopoeia for when tape is being pulled off of a roll, to describe the sound it makes.

  • 3
    The English word that means "the sound of duct tape coming off" is, coincidentally, the same English word as the one that means "the taste of fresh mango". When you find it, let me know. Jun 3 at 19:20
  • 3
    It's called that sound when "duct tape is being pulled off of a roll" +1
    – Mazura
    Jun 3 at 20:10
  • 2
    – Drew
    Jun 5 at 1:03
  • It's pretty variable IMO, it can make almost a loud slurping noise, or can be near silent crackle/hiss, depending on speed, angle, freshness, brand, wide or narrow roll, color, if it's metallic, etc.
    – Stuart F
    Jun 5 at 22:05
  • I think you'll need to coin a word... I'd suggest zzzuquop pip. How many points is that in scrabble?
    – Fraser Orr
    Jun 7 at 1:17

4 Answers 4


Tape ripping sound or noise:

ripping sound of tape_Storyblocks

More ripping:

tape ripping_Motion Array

  • Arguably rrrrrrrrrrip is onomatopoeia.
    – stevesliva
    Jun 5 at 3:51

The term "shredding noise" describes this sound closely enough.

(Heartbreaker Julie Garwood · 2012) Then a crash, maybe a vase, Nick thought, followed by a shredding noise, like material being ripped apart.

Here is the sound of a shredder in a video: "Shredding Paper Sound Effect".


"Zwack!" perhaps. Or "zwaaack"?


It makes a screeching sound. screech, streak, shriek

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.