When you break your leg or any of your appendages you get a binding, you know, the white thing to fix your arm or leg. What is that called?

I find the words gypsum, cast and plastery in the dictionary but from searching pictures on Google these don't seem to be the right words. (Also, in what context do you use these?)

I want to find a picture on Google where a group of people got these bindings on their legs, arms, necks, etc. What is the right word?

  • @tchrist, I'm three month's late, but I was going to say the same thing: :-) – TecBrat Jun 3 '12 at 11:28
  • @tchrist, your nationality is showing! – Beejamin Jan 15 '14 at 11:59

Generally, that "white thing" is called a cast (see definition 6c).

A rigid casing (as of fiberglass or of gauze impregnated with plaster of paris) used for immobilizing a usually diseased or broken part.

Like this:


  • thanks. Now, what is the best term to search a group of people in casts ? If I use the terms "group cast" google find a bunch of movie related pictures, none of them in cast ! – kissgyorgy Mar 10 '12 at 21:40
  • @Walkman It is unlikely that you will find such an image; it's not a very common thing to search for. Does it need to be a group? – user11550 Mar 10 '12 at 21:41
  • 2
    @Walkman: Is that your real question, to find a group of people in casts? and so what term to use to search for it? Do you think there are ofte people with casts who hang out together? Search for 'patient osteopathy'. (as an aside, 'cast' also means the group of players in a theatrical performance) – Mitch Mar 10 '12 at 21:46
  • 2
    Also it can be called a plaster cast, which might help searching, next time. – Matt E. Эллен Mar 10 '12 at 22:16
  • 1
    I love how your example of the "white thing" is red. :) – Mark Beadles Jul 31 '12 at 0:05

It's a cast, often made of plaster or fiberglass.

enter image description here

protected by tchrist Nov 23 '14 at 17:58

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.