For example, a neurosurgeon describing an arterio-venous malformation as a “screwed-up circulation”, or a psychologist telling his patient “that’s your stuff...deal with it”. Because the professionals are so accomplished, it’s within their providence to speak like this. What’s a succinct word or phrase I’m looking for??

  • 1
    Hello, Bill. This is a single word request. It's not an exact match for alternative expression for belittlement, or confusion between 'disparage', 'belittle', 'denigrate', 'deprecate' and 'depreciate', but I hope mere repeats of these answers aren't given. They don't mandate the 'by a highly educated, accomplished individual' requirement, which is what makes this not a dupe. Apr 26 at 13:39
  • 1
    Is it dumbing down? Apr 26 at 14:00
  • 1
    It's a type of bathos but I don't imagine there's a word that fully meets your desires.
    – Stuart F
    Apr 26 at 14:10
  • 1
    I don't think what you say is right. They are just using colloquial language. Although I doubt a psychologist would say that to a patient.
    – Lambie
    Apr 26 at 15:21
  • The irony being that this "dumbing down" is unnecessary, and/or because it is 'sardonic' given the context?
    – Joachim
    Apr 26 at 16:26