Grothendieck was a major mathematician in the 20th century.

I would like to know how one can use his name to talk about the content of a study.

For example in French we would say

Hi all,

Études Grothendieckiennes

My best try to write this in English would be:

Grothendiecian Studies

But I am not sure. What do you think? What would be the adjective for the name Grothendieck?

  • There should be a k in there.
    – Henry
    Mar 21, 2023 at 23:11
  • Trivial question. Consider Newtonian, Gaussian, Hamiltonian, Fermatian. Whether you chose the -ian construction or not is a matter of opinion. For example, Caley, Wiles and Turing did not attract the suffix.
    – Anton
    Mar 22, 2023 at 7:52

1 Answer 1


I'd accept Wiktionary: Grothendieckian

  • 2
    +1, definitely valid, but I would think "Grothendieck studies" would also work, just like, for example, you might find "Poe studies": press.jhu.edu/journals/…. Mar 21, 2023 at 17:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.