Usually as part of a heading / sub-heading, you can often see symbols like in the image below on either side of the text:

text "Short Phrase" between fleurons

I don't mean these symbols specifically, just the general name for these symbols that illustrate that some text is important in a way. Another example is tildes on either side of a phrase. It's been on my mind for embarrassingly long, and none of my web searches prove to be helpful.

The reason I ask: I'm trying to make a food menu that looks like those you see in a diner or the like. I'm pretty sure adding these types of symbols will make it look aesthetically pleasing, but I don't know how to search for this design inspiration without knowing what to call it.

  • 1
    It'll be a domain-specific (typesetting) term. Perhaps better asked on Stack Exchange TEX Commented Feb 23, 2023 at 16:32
  • 1
    ...further to my comments under @psmears' answer, Maybe someone on Stack Exchange TEX could design you a pair of heterograms saying Rob's on one side and Diner on the other! I have no idea which letters can be successfully rotated / mirrored to give which other letters, but stay + here looks neat, and maybe that could be tweaked to give Eat Here. (On a rotating sign outside your diner? :) Commented Feb 23, 2023 at 17:33
  • 4
    @FumbleFingers tex.se is about one family of typesetting systems, not typesetting in general. This would be off topic here as written, though a question about how to do it in (La)TeX etc. would be fine. It seems more like a fit to Graphic Design
    – Chris H
    Commented Feb 24, 2023 at 11:09

3 Answers 3


These look like fleurons:

A fleuron, also known as printers' flower, is a typographic element, or glyph, used either as a punctuation mark or as an ornament for typographic compositions.

  • 2
    I suppose OP needs a matching pair of mirror image fleurons. I came across ambigram when I had a look myself, but Google doesn't offer much support for the collocation "fleuron ambigram" or "ambigram fleuron". But now I've just found out about hetero-ambigram = heterogram ("special case ambigram that spells out two different words when rotated 180°) I gotta say that If I was gonna design that menu, I'd bust a gut to find a heterogram where the two different words were obviously food-related. Commented Feb 23, 2023 at 16:50
  • 2
    I remember being fascinated by Douglas Hofstadter's "Metamagical Themas" when I realised the entire front cover of my copy was "palindromically" typeset. But how cool would it be to have a heterogram saying, for example, Steak and Chips either side of your restaurant's name on the menu cards! Commented Feb 23, 2023 at 16:58
  • 1
    @RosieF: It was 40 years ago when I read Hofstadter, so no surprise I didn't remember the word ambigram. But the fact of the matter is I didn't even remember that fascinating book cover until I actually encountered an image of it online just now. I'm surprised to see they don't have that specific graphic on the front cover of current editions. Commented Feb 23, 2023 at 17:24
  • 1
    Thanks, all of you! And yeah I'd love to make an ambigram for a logo but man would that take a while haha. "Fleuron" is exactly what I wanted to incorporate into my site, so thanks @psmears
    – Robo Mop
    Commented Feb 23, 2023 at 19:27
  • 1
    Hello @FumbleFingers I have an offering for you, in return for the two fine image-linked comments that you provided for us earlier. Mine is evocative of your Stay+Here comment on the question: a very special ambigram. I'm a hyper-active (though not at all hyperactive) user of Twitter, so I promptly viewed your link to that image of the front cover of the Metamagical Themas! I might respond to Papineau and link here, as his efforts are appreciated farther afield than he (perhaps) realizes. Commented Feb 24, 2023 at 10:15

In typography, these ornaments are called ❦ dingbats

Here are some:


Image source: Beyond the Bullets: 6 Great Uses For Dingbat Fonts


Sometimes, the term arabesque is used for such decorative elements.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.