The letters

c/C, o/O, s/S, v/V, w/W, x/X, z/Z

Are roughly congruently shaped from uppercase to lowercase. Depending on the font, there can be some serif differences but generally they have much less variance than say a/A or r/R etc.

Is there a word for this specifically?

  • 1
    I don’t have one word but maybe . . . case-insensitive glyphs. Feb 16 at 15:03

2 Answers 2


You could use isomorphic, but it's not specific to this particular example of similarity in shape. Merriam-Webster definition:

being of identical or similar form, shape, or structure

  • 1
    I suppose you could say calligraphically isomorphic Feb 15 at 18:03
  • 2
    @FumbleFingers glyphically isomorphic? Feb 15 at 18:12
  • There is another possibility: 'homeomorphic', which would, by derivation, mean of the same or a similar form. The Cambridge English dictionary says "homeomorphic isn’t in the Cambridge Dictionary yet. You can help!". It then gives examples of its use (english.stackexchange.com/questions/603336/…). The homeo- bit is from the Greek 'homoios', meaning 'same' or 'similar', where the 'iso-' bit of 'isomorphic' means 'equal'. It raises the question of when a word is used enough to get into a dictionary.
    – Tuffy
    Feb 15 at 20:11
  • 1
    glyphically isomorphic Feb 16 at 15:01

No, there isn't such a single English word as you ask for.

  • 3
    How do you know? There might be an obscure typographers' or calligraphers' term, for instance.
    – Stuart F
    Feb 15 at 21:26
  • 1
    If there is, what is it? Feb 15 at 22:57
  • 3
    @HighPerformanceMark Yes, that is indeed the question posed. Feb 16 at 1:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.