What word would or combination of words would best describe a small store, in which only glasses (spectacles) are sold?

Here are some of my guesses, but I think they are all wrong:

  1. Eye ware
  2. Glass Shop
  3. Glasses Shop
  4. Glass Store
  5. Glasses Store
  6. Optics Store
  7. (What's your option?)

I need it for two cases: one is for a sign on that store, the other one is for this sentence:

"Two years earlier she had worked in a (small) ______."

It is very possible that there are different words (or combination of words) for these two different cases.

Please, remember that only glasses are being sold in that store/shop.

  • 7
    Opticians store or simply optician's?
    – RegDwigнt
    Commented Dec 1, 2010 at 9:59
  • Is this for a sign or for that sentence? Or it would be good in either case?
    – brilliant
    Commented Dec 1, 2010 at 10:15
  • 2
    @RegDwight - that's maybe an answer rather than a comment. It's certainly what a store like that would be called in the uk.
    – glenatron
    Commented Dec 1, 2010 at 11:04
  • 2
    @glenatron: feel free to take it as your answer. I've never been to the UK — it's a hassle —, so I was just guessing. For instance, I have no idea whether the apostrophe belongs there or not.
    – RegDwigнt
    Commented Dec 1, 2010 at 11:44
  • What locale does the OP have in mind? It seems like the UK seems to be in agreement about Optician's but in the US, I'm not sure I've heard that term in this sort of context.
    – Dusty
    Commented Dec 1, 2010 at 14:03

5 Answers 5


How about "Optician's?"

  • I guess it works for a sign, but would this really fit in that sentence: "Two years earlier she had worked in a small optician's"?
    – brilliant
    Commented Dec 1, 2010 at 12:31
  • Thanks, Rhodri, but that would work only in the UK, right? I mean, in the USA they wouldn't say this way, right?
    – brilliant
    Commented Dec 1, 2010 at 13:27
  • 2
    We use the word Optician in Canada too. Don't know about the US. Commented Dec 1, 2010 at 14:35
  • yes, they have opticians in the US. Commented Dec 2, 2010 at 3:53
  • In the US, an optician is a person. The actual store is not usually called an optician's, just like a barber shop is not usually called a barber's, and a bakery not usually called a baker's. Commented Nov 17, 2013 at 15:23

I would not suggest the use of "glass" or "glasses"; it would not be specific enough to identify the store as somewhere eyeglasses are sold. There are stores that sell collector's edition glasses (as in those that you drink from), and so there could be some confusion involved.

I would also not suggest "optics" as there are other types of optics out there as well - lenses and such for cameras, for example.

"Opticians" (with or without the apostrophe) would imply that the store also provides eye exams, at least to me. If that is the case - that there is an optometrist on site - then this would be a good choice, regardless of whether it is in the UK or here in the US.

I think the K.I.S.S. approach would be best - "eyeglass store". This it to the point and does not leave room for doubt as to what is sold there. It isn't fancy or elegant, but it is about as accurate as you can get.

  • 3
    Another suggestion would be "eyewear shop". Although Firefox thinks eyewear is misspelled. Eh.
    – Marthaª
    Commented Dec 1, 2010 at 15:07
  • 1
    @Martha : I like "eyewear" as well. Perhaps "eyeglass" might only imply prescription lenses; "eyewear" would also include sunglasses and such.
    – Will
    Commented Dec 1, 2010 at 15:19
  • 2
    I thought only ophthalmologists and optometrists could do exams; opticians just make & fit the glasses prescribed by one of the others. At least, in the USA.
    – kajaco
    Commented Dec 2, 2010 at 18:28
  • 2
    "Eyeglass" to me means telescope before spectacles. Commented Mar 27, 2011 at 21:55
  • @Peter : simply out of curiosity, can you elaborate why? I would not normally equate the two, so I am wondering why that correlation makes more sense to you (perhaps it is something I don't normally consider).
    – Will
    Commented Mar 30, 2011 at 17:04

In the U.S., you should call it an "optical shop" (1.27 million google hits), which I believe is the most common term in American English for it. "Optical store" only gets 1/5 of the hits, although as nohat points out, this is what both LensCrafters and J.C. Penney call their optical shops. I think they're trying to make their locations sound a little fancier.

In Britain, as many people have pointed out, it's an "optician's".

  • 2
    And I don't know why it's "optical shop" and not "optical store", but compare barbershop, coffee shop and bake shop with liquor store and corner store. Some things are shops, some are stores, and some (toy shop; toy store) can be either. Commented Mar 28, 2011 at 13:44
  • It's always been a big trouble for me choosing between store and shop
    – brilliant
    Commented Mar 28, 2011 at 13:57
  • 1
    And counting Google hits, it appears that an upscale optical shop is an eyewear boutique. Commented Apr 8, 2011 at 1:32
  • It's "optician" (or "optician's") in the US as well.
    – Hot Licks
    Commented Feb 11, 2015 at 1:40

For what it's worth, both LensCrafters and JC Penney Optical call their retail locations "optical stores".

  • That's a good point, but I was more on how common native American English speakers would refer to such outlets among themselves.
    – brilliant
    Commented Mar 27, 2011 at 23:48

Dispensary or optical dispensary.

  • 1
    Please give a rationale for your answer. Commented Feb 11, 2015 at 9:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.