What noun would one use for a person who dominates as social conversation in a very loud voice? I have tried "monologist", but it doesn't sound appropriate. That sounds as though it refers to a profession.

  • There are terms for dominating conversation, and for speaking in a loud voice, but I'd be more surprised if there is one word implying both. Is one aspect of this more important than the other?
    – Stuart F
    Nov 22, 2022 at 22:45
  • I might say he's a loudmouth, or he's a talker, with "talker" carrying a negative connotation. Nov 23, 2022 at 2:05

3 Answers 3


That's a conversational narcissist:

A conversational narcissist will do their best to limit the discussion to topics where they are knowledgeable and can take up the most airtime.

In addition to both dominating the topic and airtime of a conversation, a narcissist might come across as incredibly arrogant and superior, making it even less likely that other people will cut in, for fear of being made to appear stupid, and thus enabling the narcissist to continue to monopolize everybody's time. (Men's Health)

It's a relatively new term (became common after 1970's)

  • Narcissisme is only a particular sort of psychological complex; loudness is not necessarily an indication of narcissism. The love of oneself does not come through in mere loudness. all loud conversationalists would be narcissists then.
    – LPH
    Nov 22, 2022 at 20:33
  • The behaviour described in your answer could stem from a superiority complex, and have nothing or little to do with narcissism.
    – LPH
    Nov 22, 2022 at 20:53
  • 3
    It's hard to get a word for someone who does two things, monopolizing conversation and speaking in a loud voice. This is a good answer for the first part, and I don't think you'll do much better.
    – Stuart F
    Nov 22, 2022 at 22:45

Without further characterization of such a person you could refer to them as a "boisterous talker".

(SOED) boisterous 3 Of a person or action: rough or turbulent in behaviour or speech; (now esp.) exuberant, noisily cheerful

Complement after some more thinking about this question

Combining the answer of user Aled Cymro and the adjective shown above, a seeminly better term results.

  • A boisterous monologist

(SOED) monologist A person who talks in a monologue or solioloquizes. Also, a person who monopolizes conversation.

Note    I doubt there is a one-word term in which both ideas should be captured precisely enough.


Pontificator, perhaps? From pontificate, which Merriam-Webster defines as

to speak or express opinions in a pompous or dogmatic way

He does not pontificate about whether one ought to choose, if forced to it, to betray one's country rather than one's friends …

Robin W. Winks

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.