Long time ago I heard a word that to the best of my recollection is "plepentry envoy"

I have googled a few variants, but "pleopentry envoy", "pelepentry envoy" etc. but nothing similar is coming up. This is a long shot, but the word was suppose to mean something like an envoy that was dispatched by a royal with full mandate without requiring to approve their decisions by the King himself as they would have been acting on behalf of the King ( Of course if later King find out or decided that they did not act as he would then off with their heads).

Anyone has any hints on how to chase up this word?

  • It need not be envoy alone. Plenipotentiary can be applied in other ways as well.
    – Kris
    Commented Mar 1, 2012 at 14:52

3 Answers 3


I think you're looking for "plenipotentiary", meaning "full power" from the Latin.



Regarding "hints on how to chase up this word", try a reverse dictionary. For example, entering envoy with full mandate at onelook shows plenipotentiary as the first entry, while entering just envoy gives minister plenipotentiary as the seventh entry.

A plenipotentiary is a "person invested with full power, especially as the diplomatic agent of a sovereign state, (originally) charged with handling a certain matter", per wiktionary.


As Christi says. It's still in use. The full designation of a British ambassador is 'Her Britannic Majesty's Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary'.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.