I've been looking for a translation for Czech word Remoska (which means portable electric oven with a baking feature), and the best translation I could find was crockpot. Is it correct, if not, what is the best name for such an item? When was it first used and what are the origins of the portmanteau crockpot?

  • A crockpot isn't an oven. One UK supplier says: The Remoska, invented in the Czech Republic, looks like a pan but cooks more efficiently than an everyday oven. And the UK site of a world-famous online store sells Remoska. Oct 15, 2022 at 21:32
  • In the US a "crock-pot" is a ceramic pot with a built-in electric heater, so that stew-like meals can be cooked in it. "Crockpot" is a brand name.
    – Hot Licks
    Oct 15, 2022 at 21:48
  • @Weather Vane You may be confusing a relatively obscure terminology here: A "dutch oven" isn't an oven, either. It's a heavy, lidded pot used for slow-cooking on a stovetop. So, "oven" can refer to a type of pot.
    – Oldbag
    Oct 15, 2022 at 23:58
  • I have a Remoska. I don't know of an English word for it because there is no exact equivalent of the device. It isn't a slow-cooker like a 'Crockpot', and it isn't 'crockery' (ceramic). Oct 16, 2022 at 8:03
  • 1
    @Oldbag I am not confusing anything, but pointing out that the word in use in UK is Remoska, which is not a Crockpot. Oct 16, 2022 at 8:38

1 Answer 1


This article recounts the 1971 origin of the crockpot.


Like the Czech Remoska, it’s cooking vessel of some kind that plugs in. Both words are apparently trade-marked.

  • 1
    The OED provides: “crock pot n. Cookery (originally U.S.) (originally) = sense 1; (now) spec. (also with capital initials) (a proprietary name for) a lidded pot with an integral electrical heating element, for cooking food at low temperatures for long periods; a slow cooker.” They only have it as an open compound, crock pot, but you also come cross crock-pot and crockpot fairly frequently.
    – tchrist
    Oct 15, 2022 at 23:14
  • Thank you for the indepth explanation. I'll just stick to the the original name in my text.
    – Martin
    Oct 16, 2022 at 10:27
  • 1
    The brand name "Crock Pot" is more generally called a slow cooker, at least in many countries. A few foods can be cooked in both a slow cooker and a remoska, but they're not interchangeable
    – Chris H
    Oct 16, 2022 at 16:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.